Friday, September 2, 2011

Hidden Secret


Do you know what is the best kept secret of the Sierras? We do. It is blackberries! For the last two years, Chase and I (with a few members of his family) pick wild blackberries from canes not far from his parents house. This year we went with Chuck and Sam and we picked about five pounds of blackberries (about 50 to 60 dollars worth) from two different sets of canes. It took us around 45 minutes to pick all of them, and the mosquitoes were horrible. Probably because one set of canes were by a pond of murky water. The first set of canes had huge bear scat piles and the canes were squished. The bears must like blackberries as much as we do!
Because most of the blackberries were pretty ripe, I froze all of them except about half a cup worth that we ate with a little sugar. Chase is going to have some pretty good smoothies!

1 comment:

  1. That's something I always loved about growing up where I did. I love Blackberries!

    ReplyDelete